work at the museum
The American Writers Museum (AWM) is a national museum located in downtown Chicago, dedicated to celebrating American writers and their enduring relevance. The museum fulfills its mission by presenting exhibits and programs for youth and adults that honor the past, promote the present and inspire the future of American writing.
The American Writers Museum is proud to offer a comprehensive, flexible, and competitive benefits program for our employees. Full time employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision, and paid time off benefits. Full time employees are also eligible for a robust IRA retirement saving plan with employer match.
All employees receive discounts in our store and free admission to the Museum including programs.
The American Writers Museum is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
All applicants should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Executive Assistant and content manager
The Executive Assistant/Content Manager is a full-time, on-site position responsible for supporting the functions of the President’s office, with a particular focus on fundraising activities. Responsibilities include writing and project management for fundraising, as well as supporting the President with communications, external affairs, meeting preparation, scheduling and special projects.
- Work with the President and the Director of Development to write/layout fundraising materials, including the donor newsletter, Annual Report, direct mail appeals, acknowledgement letters and reports to donors
- Manage the print projects above, including working with designers, printers and mailhouses, to complete and distribute these communications
- Assist as necessary with support and follow up related to the annual Gala
- Serve as liaison and provide event support to the Chicago Council (Junior Board) for the AWM
- Work with the Development and Membership Associate to implement strategies to increase membership and lower-level annual giving
- Attend evening member and donor events
- Help maintain and manage the President’s calendar
- Help capture, process and organize incoming demands on the President
- Research opportunities for the President to promote the AWM to new audiences through visits, presentations, or collaborations
- Assist with special projects, including but not limited to exhibit development, program development and partnerships
- Provide support for Board meetings and committee meetings, including preparing materials, taking minutes, arranging technical support and other logistics
- Assist with communications with the Board of Directors
- Help prepare in-person and written presentations given by the President
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years of office experience
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience in a non-profit organization and understanding of fundraising preferred
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good judgement and discretion
- Computer proficiency, including G Suite and MS Office, graphic design skills helpful
- Accuracy and attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to excel in a collaborative team setting and manage multiple projects
Hours and Compensation
This is a full time position. Hours are 9:00 – 5:00 M-F, with some evening hours required for museum events. Annual salary commensurate with experience. Health benefits and retirement plan are available with this position.