Jobs & Volunteering
join our team
The American Writers Museum (AWM) is a national museum located in downtown Chicago, dedicated to celebrating American writers and their enduring relevance. The museum fulfills its mission by presenting exhibits and programs for youth and adults that honor the past, promote the present and inspire the future of American writing.
The American Writers Museum is proud to offer a comprehensive, flexible, and competitive benefits program for our employees. Full time employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision, and paid time off benefits. Full time employees are also eligible for a robust IRA retirement saving plan with employer match.
All employees receive discounts in our store and free admission to the Museum including programs.
The American Writers Museum is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation. The search process for open positions will reinforce the AWM belief that achieving diversity requires an enduring commitment to inclusion that must find full expression in our organizational culture, values, norms, and behaviors.
The Development Manager is an integral member of the development team who contributes to the creation and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising plan. The Development Manager works closely with the Director of Development, the Development and Membership Associate, and the President.
- Manage, promote, and grow the AWM Donor Society (annual donors of $250 – $10,000): serve as primary relationship manager, developing and executing strategies to identify, cultivate, steward, and solicit new and existing donors
- Serve as primary staff liaison to the museum’s Associate Board, assisting with their events and recruitment efforts
- Support the planning and execution of the annual OnWord fundraising event, including administrative and logistical support
- Assist in writing proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, and government granting agencies
- Provide planning and organizational support for other events for the Board and donors, such as Board meetings, exhibit openings, cultivation events, etc., working with the museum’s caterer, Food for Thought
- Assist in writing the OnWord donor newsletter
- Assist with updates and improvements to the Join + Give pages of the AWM website
- Write and send acknowledgement letters for all contributions
- Support the Development Committee and the Nominating & Engagement Committee by attending meetings and taking minutes
- Assist the President and Director of Development as needed with donor visits, events, and written materials
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- An interest in learning about all aspects of fundraising work
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Organizational and research skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Good judgment and discretion
- Computer proficiency, including G Suite and MS Office. Experience with Altru database helpful.
- Accuracy and attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to excel in a collaborative team setting, be flexible, and manage multiple projects
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time position. Hours are 9:00 – 5:00 M-F, with evening and weekend hours required for certain museum events. Annual salary commensurate with experience. Health benefits and retirement plan are available with this position.
Work Location and Covid Policies
We are currently working in a hybrid model with two to three days at our office with the other days worked remotely. As part of our commitment to providing a healthy and safe workplace, the AWM is requiring employees to provide proof that they are vaccinated against COVID-19.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply
Support the American Writers Museum by joining our Storyteller Volunteer Program. AWM Storytellers can assist in interacting with guests and assisting with programs on the gallery floor. Help is also needed for our special events.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Storyteller contact us at: